If you’re interested in neuropsychology in South Africa, then Ormond Neuroscience is the place to be. Ormond Neuroscience connect advances in the neurosciences to the practical, real-world application of clinical neuropsychology. We apply the leading edge of neuroscience to the diagnosis of brain dysfunction, and implement the art of brain-mind therapy in our treatment.
Ormond Neuroscience headed up by Digby Ormond-Brown, a neuropsychologist and a neuroscientist. Based at the Netcare Rehabilitation Hospital in Auckland Park, Johannesburg, Ormond Neuroscience provide expertise in clinical neuropsychology, the science of the relationship between the brain and the mind. We understand how changes in the physical structure of the brain brought about by trauma or disease cause alterations in psychological functioning, and how psychological functioning affects the workings of the brain, such as the effect of depression on brain structure and function. We delve into the complex, and at times mysterious, relationship between the physical and the mental, shedding light on brain-related issues that make a difference in daily life and in the workplace. Ormond Neuroscience will provide the necessary knowledge and expertise to help you with:
- diagnosis of brain-related conditions
- neuropsychological assessment
- neuropsychological treatment
- information about the brain
Neurological Diseases and Conditions
We understand brain-related problems due to a wide variety of different causes, including:
- disease, such Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis or stroke
- trauma, such as traumatic brain injury caused by motor vehicle accidents, assault or falls
- perinatal brain damage, such as hypoxic-ischaemic brain injury due to complications at birth, Fragile-X syndrome, or Down’s syndrome
- exposure to neurotoxins, such as organophosphate pesticides, solvents, and heavy metals such as mercury and manganese
- mood disorders, such as post-traumatic stress disorder, major depressive disorder and bipolar mood disorder
- organ failure, such as cirrhosis of the liver, renal failure and cardiac arrest
- concussion, as occurs on the sports field
Clientele of Ormond Neuroscience
Ormond Neuroscience is able to provide detailed neuropsychological assessment, which is invaluable information to many kinds of people, including:
- Attorneys involved in personal injury litigation who are dealing with patients with traumatic brain injuries, or hypoxic-ischaemic brain injury arising from obstetric or gynaecological problems, or any disruption of mental function arising from medical negligence.
- Businesses interested in the well-being and performance of employees with mental conditions, including stroke, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder and executive burn-out.
- Insurance companies evaluating disability claims related to a variety of conditions, such as brain tumours, depression, head injury, cerebral malaria and other disorders.
- Neurologists concerned with differential diagnosis, for example, distinguishing between depression and dementia, or detailing the impact of cardiac arrest or coronary artery bypass graft on neuropsychological functioning.
- Patients suffering from brain-related conditions, whether due to trauma or disease, congenital neurological problems, or complications from surgery.
- Psychiatrists who need to determine the impact on cognitive functioning of bipolar mood disorder, major depressive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, suspected dementia and related conditions.
- Sports physicians needing to understand the severity of a concussion and make decisions regarding return to play.